DEERS Tri-fold (.pdf file format)
TRICARE gives you the responsibility of choosing your own health care provider. Because you have a choice, you must make sure that you retain your eligibility for health care by keeping your personal information up to date. Two important databases affect your access to health care: DEERS shows your Department of Defense eligibility for health care, while the Composite Health Care Systems, CHCS, shows your individual enrollment status at your military treatment facility.
The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) is a worldwide data base of active duty service members, their family members, and retirees and their family members. It is used to:
- Verify eligibility for the Uniformed Services benefits (such as health care)
- Register active duty and retirees for benefits
- Register family members and legal dependents for benefits
- Sponsors must show proof of eligibility for their families.
- Dependent parents must meet legal criteria
- Update information when events (promotion, marriage, divorce, births, deaths, etc.) affect benefits
- All children must be enrolled in DEERS to verify eligibility for medical care.
The information about you and your family in the DEERS data base must be current or you may not be eligible for health care and you may have to pay for some health care costs. The Composite Health Care System (CHCS) data base must reflect the same information as the DEERS data base.
To Add, Update or Change DEERS Information
- Active Duty & Their Family Members: See your Personnel Actions Center (PAC)
- Family Members & Retirees: Soldier Service Center, Hood Road and Battalion Avenue
- Verify DEERS enrollment: 1-800-538-9552
Eligibility issues are not determined by TRICARE. Rather, these determinations are based on a beneficiary's status in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
DEERS is the DoD database of uniformed service members and their family members entitled under law to TRICARE benefits. If you have questions regarding TRICARE eligibility or need to make changes to your DEERS record (i.e. add/remove family members, address change, etc.) you may visit or contact the nearest ID Card Processing Facility (Defense Manpower Data Center/DMDC). To find the nearest facility to your zip code, visit www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl..
DEERS/DMDC Contact Information:
Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)
Research and Analysis Section
400 Gigling Rd.
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
page last modified on: 6/4/2014