Active Duty Soldiers
The flu vaccination is mandatory for all active duty soldiers in accordance with AR 40-562. Soldiers are at risk for contracting the flu virus due to their close living and working arrangements. All Active Duty soldiers at Ft Hood will be immunized with their unit on the dates and times scheduled by the unit.
Who Should Get Vaccinated?
In general, anyone who wants to reduce his or her chances of getting the flu can get vaccinated. However, certain people should get vaccinated each year. They are either people who are at high risk of having serious flu complications or people who live with or care for those at high risk for serious complications.
The following groups of individuals are strongly recommended to be vaccinated for flu because of the increased risk of severe illness after infection with flu virus:
Persons at high risk for influenza-related complications and severe disease, including:
- Children aged 6 - 59 months
- Pregnant women
- Persons aged 50 years and older
- Persons of any age with chronic medical conditions
Persons who live with or care for persons at high risk:
- Household Contacts of persons at high risk as well Health-care Workers.
- Out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)
page last modified on: 5/7/2013