- Department of OB/GYN Home
- Women's Health Center
- Contact Us
- Location & Hours
- Commercial Ultrasounds
- Common Ob Terms
- Common Tests
- Gynecology Services
- Pregnancy Services
- Pregnancy Education
- New Parent Support
What is sexual dysfunction in women?
Sexual dysfunction is a decrease in or lack of sexual satisfaction. Sexual dysfunction in women is very common. It affects up to 40% of women.
The four major types of sexual dysfunction in women are:
- Decreased level of desire, such as fewer sexual fantasies or thoughts.
- Inability to become or remain aroused or sexually excited.
- Inability to have an orgasm.
- Painful intercourse.
What are some causes of sexual dysfunction in women?
The causes of sexual dysfunction in women are often interrelated.
- Physical causes: hormonal imbalances, pain, and certain conditions such as diabetes.
- Psychological causes: stress, marital discord, and previous sexual trauma.
- Aging: changes in the vagina, such as stiffening and lack of lubrication.
- Medications: such as blood pressure and diabetes medications, may cause sexual dysfunction.
Many cases of sexual dysfunction are treatable, once the underlying cause is determined. Sexual dysfunction often has multiple causes and a combination of treatment may be recommended.
If indicated your PCM can put in a consult (referral) to our GYN clinic for evaluation and potential treatment for sexual dysfunction.
page last modified on: 5/7/2013