Phone: (254) 288-8332
FAX: (254) 286-7002
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Scheduling: Appointments may be scheduled over the phone. All appointments are scheduled, there are no walk-in appointments.
What is Mammography?
Mammography is a simple radiographic examination of the breast. It is the most reliable method for early detection of breast cancer. The examination uses X-rays to produce a picture of the breast anatomy in a two-view projection. The examination requires gentle compression of the breast to obtain optimal images.
A baseline (first) mammogram should be obtained between the age of 35 - 40 if there is no immediate family history (mother, sister, daughter) of breast cancer. The American Cancer Society (ACS) recommends a yearly mammogram starting at the age of 40.
Our mammography services are certified by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The Mammography technologists have been educated by an accredited facility and are certified by the following organization:
- The American Registry of Radiologic Technologist(Radiography and Mammography)
- An ACR Certified radiologist/physician interprets the mammogram exams.
How to Schedule an appointment:
To schedule a mammography appointment at Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center:
- The ordering physician must order the correct exam into CHCS, i.e. Bilateral Mammogram, Screening (asymptomatic) or Bilateral Mammogram, Diagnostic (symptomatic)
- Patients are requested to come to the Mammography Section located in the Radiology/X-Ray department on the 1st floor at Darnall Army Medical Center to schedule an appointment. Or the patient may call the Mammography Section at (254) 288-8332 to make an appointment.
- Patients who receive a mammogram consult from a local outside provider must hand carry or fax ( 254-286-7002) their referral to the Mammography Section at Darnall Army Medical Center to be scheduled. The patient’s name, sponsor Social Security Number, requested exam, a brief history and the physician’s signature must be on the order.
- If the patient had prior mammograms at another hospital, please go to or send the patient to Darnall Release of Information Office located on the 1st floor of the hospital to request that prior films be sent here for comparison.
Please feel free to contact our staff at (254) 288-8332 if you have any questions or concerns.
page last modified on: 5/7/2013