You Can Help Improve Patient Safety
Become a more informed health care consumer
- Seek information about illnesses or conditions that affect you
- Research options and possible treatment plans
- Ask questions of your doctor, nurse or pharmacist
- Seek more than one opinion
Work with your doctor & other health care professionals as a team
- Share your health history with your care team.
- Share up-to-date information about your care with everyone who's treating you.
- Make sure you understand the care and treatment you'll be receiving. Ask questions if you're not clear on your care.
- Pay attention. If something doesn't seem right, call it to the attention of your doctor or health care professional.
- Discuss any concerns about your safety with your health care team.
Involve a family member or friend in your care
- If you're not able to observe or participate fully in your care, ask a family member or friend to assist. They can accompany you on appointments or stay with you, help you ask questions, understand care instructions and suggest your preferences.
Follow your doctor's directions
- Be sure you receive all instructions in writing and that you read and understand them. And, have information explained verbally.
- Take medication exactly as prescribed
- Use home medical equipment & supplies only as instructed
- Report anything unusual to your doctor
page last modified on: 5/7/2013