TRICARE — Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Pharmacist talks to patient.

Q. How do I enroll my new baby in DEERS?
A. Take a copy of the birth certificate to your Personnel Actions Center or the Rivers In Processing Center ID Section.

Q. How do I get an ID card for my new wife/husband?
A. Take a copy of the marriage license to the Rivers In processing Center ID Section.

Q. I'm retiring soon, what do I do to continue my health benefits?
A. Update your information in DEERS at the Rivers In Processing Center and re-enroll in TRICARE Prime as a retiree.

Q. When does a child need his/her own ID card?
A. When the child turns age 10, when both parents are in the military service, and when single parents leave children with family or friends because of deployments.

Q. Can I enroll my grandchildren in DEERS?
A. Only if they are legally adopted (can be enrolled when adoption proceeding begins).

For more Frequently Asked Questions visit TRICARE FAQ'soffsite link in new window

Answers to questions about TRICARE's mental health coverage.

page last modified on: 3/27/2017

Privacy and Security Notice | External Link Disclaimer | This is a Department of Defense Computer System | Contact Us

36065 Santa Fe Avenue Fort Hood, Texas 76544-4752 | Phone: (254) 288-8000 | Today is Thursday, August 22, 2019

This website contains official Government information